- Roger Shepherd’s piece on The Bats Made Up In Blue 12″ vinyl single – Flying Nun UK’s first release in 1986.
- Paul is hosting his Temporary Resonant radio hour on
www.8K.NZ/ Sundays at noon NZ time. (International times are simultaneous but the hour will vary depending on where you are in the world).
OR listen to Podcast collection on Mixcloud when the time is right for you?
- A 2022 project to watch out for is the sharing of Bats songs performed by other musicians. 1st up will be a beautiful version of Made Up In Blue by Steven Gunn.
- 2021 is coming to the end. We were lucky to play at a few superb gigs in NZ before Covid’s 2nd big lockdown. We celebrated Flying Nun’s 40th with lots of memories being shared.
- (Originally posted early in 2021) Flying Nun 40th Anniversary parties are underway with Auckland’s Town Hall concert a massive fun sold out event last weekend. Wellington is coming up fast at Michael Fowler centre on 7th August, Go to Ticketmaster to secure entry … following this, the launch of the Christchurch Art Gallery massive HELLZAPOPPIN’! Exhibition on
20th August 2021 (POSTPONED TO 2022) with The Bats, Mermaidens, Die Die Die, Jay Clarkson and the Containers, The Remnants ( Victor Dimisich, Terminals ….) and RDU DJ’s playing the best of Flying Nun releases.. this one is FREE
- Listen to
- Check out
- , 1st single/video off The Bats 10th album Foothills
- Feb 2020 – slow progress on the 10th album. Life is busy. Nearly mixed and it’s sounding pretty bloody good. The Bats will play a few new songs at shows coming up at
- and Cross Street Music Festival
- Bats recorded a song for the “Mansfield” album project that Charlotte Yates pulled together. NZ musicians were giving Katherine Mansfield poems to put to music – the Bats requested a French related poem and were given Sanary. Album was Released last week, it’s receiving great reviews. Listen
- March 2019 – Bats are performing at a few NZ festivals over the coming months. First up is the
- on 27 April.
- October 2018 – The Bats retreated to the foothills of Canterbury and set up a mobile studio. 15 songs were recorded for their 10th album which is having it’s finishing touches added to before release late 2019
- May 2018
- Robert has been busy writing new songs and presented the band with 14 goodies. A fun and fruitful demo session happened late in April. Plans are to develop these songs and try out some of them at couple of NZ shows in front of live audiences before recording in spring this year. Captain Cook date in Dunedin is confirmed for June and a Christchurch show on 30th May.. tickets on sale Fri 4 May.
- As 2017 wound up The Bats were pleased to see The Deep Set featuring high on many Top 20’s, 50’s and 70’s lists.
- And Flying Nun placed the album 1st in their top 11.
“FN568 The Bats – The Deep Set (LP/CD/Digital)
The Bats release The Deep set 30 years on from the hugely influential debut album Daddy’s Highway. Recorded by Ben Edwards (Aldous Harding, Nadia Reid, Marlon Williams) “the tunes are augmented by shimmering harmonies and classy string accompaniment, while guitarist Kaye Woodward’s lead parts twist and meander, dripping with expression” themusic.com.au
“The Bats are one of New Zealand’s great treasures bestowed upon the world at large, and anytime they make a record, especially one as good as The Deep Set, it’s an event worth celebrating” – AllMusic (US)
“The music is richer, expansive and deeper but maintains all the amazing pop you’d expect on a record by The Bats” – Noisy (US)
“The band’s signature sound, led by Robert Scott’s strum and Kaye Woodward’s snaky leads, remains intact and winning as ever” – Brooklyn Vegan (US)”
- While The Bats were in London at the end of their UK/EU summer tour they were filmed performing Busy in the viaduct arches under London’s Haggerton station. Marc Swaddel directed, filmed and edited with additional camerawork from the practice room’s resident, Christchurch emigre, James Atkinson.
- Email and possible other issues with connection to this site may happen once Vodafone decommission our isp host, Paradise on 30 November 2017. Please let us know if you can still see this by sending a message to our new email email@example.com
- 29 May: NZ Tour was great fun – played last night in NZ at the lovely old Arts Centre Gym in Christchurch at our pre flight party. Sound was superb and a lovely bunch of people came to see us off. Thanks to Luckless – Ivy Rossiter for opening and all the good folk from the venue who were very helpful and welcoming. Flying out to Europe in a few hours – better start packing!Heavy Folk Heroes – Grant Smithies chats to BobSome great poster artwork is emerging from The Bats European and UK venues.
- New Zealand Tour Dates announced. Dunedin kicks off the tour well in the lead with The Bats playing as a 6 piece on 25th March at Nga Maara Hall – there will be a bar and some food available as well as an outdoor space the the smoking inclined.
- The 6 piece will re-group in May to take on the North Island starting with Meow on 18th with Mr Amish then Hamilton at Nivara Lounge with Ancient Tapes and Scones finishing up in Auckland on Saturday 20th at The Bats favourite home away from home, Kings Arms. Love the garden bar area – GO TO UTR for tickets
- Bats EU / UK Tour announced. GO TO GIGS PAGE for details.
Video – No Trace – Song written and performed by Robert Scott / The Bats
Producer – Annabel Kean
Director – Andrei Talili
Director of Photography – Scott Jackson
Editor – Joseph Harman
Starring Maeve, Otto, Hannah and Isla
Thanks to Marg and Chris for use of their lovely home.
- Fri 27 January. The Bats did some bat gazing in Melbourne last night after a fine interview on RRR. Playing Northcote Social Club tonight. We hear there are a few tickets left.
- A new video for No Trace has been released. We’re gathering info about who did what from the producer.
- Bats news team have been re-structured after focussing too much on FB and Twitter. Normal reporting will return in due course.
- Thurs 16 Nov – Sydney Festival have announced they will host The Bats for their The Deep Set album release show. 1st digi single AND a Melbourne concert too!! Click here to see Sydney Fest, hear sample from the album and more.
- Tues 25 Oct – no news day.
- RePort, a collection of Robert Scott’s songs has been released through Thokei Tapes
- New album, The Deep Set, looks a little longer off before release due to US pressing plant delays. Flying Nun informed us they’re waiting on the test pressing which is due any day now – once that gets the thumbs up it will hopefully be out on vinyl, CD and digital within the month.
- In the meantime, a digi single is being selected for imminent release.
- A re-pressing of Daddy’s Highway LP (currently out of stock) is in the pipeline for 2017 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Bats first full length album. (30 years?!)
- The band are planning to select a few songs for the setlist for the next tour that haven’t been played live for a good 20 years. What would you like to hear live from Daddy’s Highway?
- Weds 5 Oct
Bandcamp have announced that they will now accept credit or bank/debit cards to purchase digital albums and tracks along with their usual PayPal service.